Saturday, December 16, 2023

A Visit to Yet Another Western Tourist Trap

 This isn't one of these crazy dreams I usually post about here, but it was kind of a pleasant dream. I want to record it here so I can rememer it better. Also, it seems that I seem to blog quite a bit about Western-themed dreams like this restaurant featuring singing cowboys on a ceiling track, which is a bit odd, considering i'm not a Western buff at all. No idea why I have these dreams. :-)

The dream starts with my husband Steve and me inside a large adobe building with beige textured stucco walls (like you'd see in a themed Mexican restaurant), round corners and curved ceilings, lit by warm lights. I think it might have been a train station, but it is now a targe restaurant filled with many tables. Along one wall is a row of numbered doors leading outdoors with a sign above each door indicating what attraction it leads to. One says "mule rides," another say "train ride," "ski life ride to mountain top" and so on.

On a lark, I decide to try the mule ride, though Steve elects to stay behind and enjoy a beer. (Probably a wise choice.) I get on a mule, which wears a red Native American blanket on its back. Unfortunately, several yards out, it starts to rain, and of course, I didn't have an umbrella or rain poncho or anything, so I have to turn back to the restaurant.

Steve suggests we try the train ride, but it doesn't start for a few hours or so. To kill time, we wander into a small shopping mall connected to the restaurant. We are pleasantly surprised to discover a big bookstore there, as you usually don't see large bookstores in small touristy towns. I rummage through shelves of books and discover a large coffee table full of color photos of my hometown Houston. While leafing through the book, I come across a photo of four men dessed as cowboys posing for the camera. The caption explains that they are a singing group. (Hmm... I wonder if these people ever worked at that restaurant with the singing cowboys?)

It's time for the train ride, so I buy the book, and we rush to the train. There is no assigned seating, so as the almost-full train pulls out, we go our separate ways to look for good seats. After wandering through a couple of passenger cars, I find a car full of tables with restaurant-style seating, though I didn't see any kind of servic, counter or waitpeople. i find a free table and sit down right away, plopping my new book on the table. I whip out my iPhone and start a text message to Steve, to let him know I found seats. While peckign halfway through my message, i look up, and there Steve was, smiling and sitting at the table across from me.

"Oh, there you are -- I was about to text you, andyou beat me to it, " I say, laughing.

 Okay, it's not a most exciting dream, but it was a nice one, anyway. :-)



;


No comments:

Post a Comment