Saturday, November 25, 2023

Compute at Your Peril

 Here are a couple of strange dreams, more like nightmares, involving computers.

The first one had me sitting at my esktop computer (the same one I'm writing this blog post on) in my home office. There was a turned-off laptop with the monitor opened up sitting on the desk next to me. As I was typing something on my main company, I felt something odd happening, so I glanaced in the direction of the laptop and saw a sticker stuck to the laptop's screen that wasn't there a moment ago. It was a bright red sticker from a nearby bookstore with the word SALE in bright white letter. While I tried to figure out how the sticker got there, another sticker, the same kind as the first one, popped up on the screen in a different spot.Then one more, and then another. Where wasn't anyone in the room sticking these stickers onto the laptop's screen -- it was as if an invisible force was doing it. The way I write this, it sounds kind of silly, but in hte dream it was really terrifying, the way the stickers just popped up out of nowhere. It freaked me out so much that I got up, ran out of the home office and downstairs. Then I woke up with my heart beating hard. Maybe it was a god of stickers, angry with me for the supposed sin of removing stickers from books. Who knows?

The other dream is probably a little more terrifying. I was sitting a small office that doens't exist in real life. I was sitting at a worktable pushed against a white wall. The top 1/4 of the wall was a full-width window covered with a translucent pink striped shade pulled down. Like the other dream, I was also at a computer. I was working out on a programming puzzle for a while, when I felt a loud clang and looked up. To my horrow, a metal grate shutter had dropped from the ceiling, completely covering the window. I didn't know what was going on, but protocol demanded that I get onto the floor immediately and duck under the table. As I leapt off the chair and onto the floor, one of my sleeves, which were the wide, kimono-style, got caught on one of the chair's arms. The chair tipped over, coming down with me. As I grappled with the chair on the floor, there was a big flash of orange-pinkish light all around me. And at that moment, I woke up, along with my heart beating hard.


I guess the point of these dreams, is that you use your computer at your peril.


No comments:

Post a Comment