Sunday, May 5, 2024

Gift-Wrapping in a Filthy Basement

 The other night, I dreamed that I was a contestant in a reality show for gift-wrapping. This show seemed to have low production values -- it probably was for YouTube or the like. Anyway, this particular episodee took part in an unfinished basemenet of someone's house. It was filthy and musty, crammed with decades worth of junk, and i think the sump pump had malfunctioned at sone point.

The challenge was to find a gift somewhere in the basement for Mother's Day and wrap it with materials procured also from the basement. It seemed that I was a bit low in the show's standings, so I was under quite a bit of pressure not to screw up. After rummaging through a lot of stuff like old photos, rusty tools and dusty home decor, I finally decided upon an unopened box containing a peppermill (which probably was once a gift itself so I guess I'm re-gifting here). I wrapped it in pages of old National Geography and lengths of electrical wiring. Maybe not the most original in this contest but of course, the time was limited. Another contestant decided to turn a bunch of old washers, nuts and bolts into a sculpture, but he took so much time with it that he didn't have to wrapit, and of course, this is a gift-wrapping contest. Unfortunately, I didn't get to find out who won this challenge, but certainly not me or the sculpture guy.



No comments:

Post a Comment