Saturday, July 8, 2017

Lovesick Scientist

In this dream, I was a lab assistant to a scientist who bears a rather uncanny resemblance to Jorah Mormont on the show Game of Thrones. One day he summoned me to his office/lab which was a large room with a whiteboard full of scribbles spanning the whole width of a wall. 

The room's lights were dimmed, but there was a speck of bright light coming from an eyepiece on some instrument that I couldn't identify. The scientist who was bending over this instrument, beckoned me over. As I came over, I noticed that he was dressed a little odd, like he was about to head for a costume party. He wore a baggy, dark trench coat with a matching floppy hat, like a vampire doing shabby chic.

"Look at this," he said in a jubilant tone as if he had made a major discovery.

I peeked into the eyepiece and saw an image of some kind of village, consisting of beehive-shaped huts. Several people, dressed in baggy clothes similar to what the scientist was wearing, milled around in the village.

When I looked up, the scientist asked mysteriously, "Guess where that is?"

I shook my head. "No idea."

"That place is not anywhere on our world but in a different dimension."

"Whoa! How'd you pull that off?"

He winked. "It's a secret. By the way, did you see that woman with strawberry blonde hair?"

I peeked again, and saw a woman with the said hair, in a dress that looked like it came from an old-school burlap potato sack. Apparently, fashion isn't a thing on her world. She was kneeling by a water pump, filling a tall clay pot with water.

"Yes, I see her. What about her?"

"Isn't she the most exquisite person you ever see?"

"Um, yes." It sounded like the scientist was really smitten with this woman. A thought occurred to me, and I asked, "Have you met her yet?"

"Oh, yes! A couple of times. Now, I must take my leave, but be sure to keep watching. Farewell." Then he left the room.

A moment later, as I watched the woman finish pumping, a figure wearing a dark coat and floppy hat appeared in the image from the right side. It took me a few seconds to realize this was the scientist. How he got there, I had no idea. The woman, seemingly unaware of the approaching scientist, rose and put the pot on the top of her head like an Indian woman. As she turned around to walk away, I thought I saw a smile on her face. Her hips swaying, she strolled into the distance without looking back as if she was aware of the scientist but pretending to ignore him. The scientist all but skipped, trailing her.

Unfortunately, I have no idea if the scientist got his woman, or if he made it back to our world. But I wouldn't be surprised if he never came back, so perhaps this was a happy ending for him.


No comments:

Post a Comment